Batman The Dark Knight 2008

Bretteo
    Site Owner
    Site Owner

Male Number of posts : 1017
    Registration date : 2008-04-08

Batman The Dark Knight 2008

Post by Bretteo on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:15 pm

The Dark Knight comes with a lot of hype attached to it… a lot of fanboy hype which is usually about as accurate as a reports that there are weapons of mass destruction in foreign countries. For once, the fanboys are right. While The Dark Knight isn’t the best film ever made, it does stand as one of the best superhero flicks out there, and arguably the best. There are a couple of flaws in The Dark Knight’s armor, but for the most part, the film is an enthralling thrill ride filled with intriguing characters and some actual social commentary… albeit the type of commentary that is easily dismissed because it tumbles from the smiling mouth of a madman.

The film picks up some time after the events of Batman Begins, Batman has become a respected member of society and inspired others to rise to the challenge and combat crime. One such man is an aspiring D.A. named Harvey Dent. Together, Lt. Gordon, Batman, and Harvey Dent attempt to bring down the entire mob establishment in Gotham City in one fell swoop. Their plot is foiled by a mysterious madman, who goes by the moniker The Joker, a psychopath whose life is a roiling stew of chaos. Events get more complicated from there, and since there are so many sweet surprises in the film, I won’t go into further detail. Let’s just say it’s a solid story, full of nice twists and a story that is three times more complex than the pedestrian efforts of Batman Begins.

Christopher Nolan has crafted another visually stunning film, that though it has its flaws, serves as pure entertainment with a side of thoughtfulness. The skill with which Nolan paints Gotham City is unrivaled in today’s cinema; the city has a life all its own, and when you add Nolan’s ability to get the best performances out of his actors, the end result is a universe that is unique and all its own. If only Nolan could get the balls to do something with this wonderful world he creates, he might be able to make a perfect film.

The one flaw in Nolan’s directorial effort comes in one of the most important areas of the film… the fight sequences. Batman is still a shitty fighter. The typical Batman fight goes like this: a bad guy stands there wondering where Batman is, Batman pops up from just off frame and hits the bad guy, rinse and repeat. It’s a shame that a movie with such solid writing, directing, and performances fails to deliver in the ass kicking department. Maybe in between this film and whatever piece of sh*t Nolan has lined up, he can go take a few night classes from Paul Greengrass, whose PG-13 fights in The Bourne Ultimatum had an R-rated feel to them, were pure enjoyment, and so fast and hardcore that you could almost feel every blow. If Nolan can’t figure that out… he may just have to be a man and make an R-rated version. sh*t, the Batman films have a big enough following that they could probably make an NC-17 version and it would still rake in bank… as long as it’s NC-17 for violence and not because it shows an ugly skag like Maggie Gyllenhaal naked; that would give me nightmares.

The acting in the film is a surprising step up from the original film. Christian Bale steps his game up a bit and develops the Bruce Wayne portion of Batman in a satisfactory way. He creates a much more personable entity this time around, even though he still uses that god-awful Batman voice where he makes his voice all grumbly… it’s pretty stupid sounding and had me chuckling to myself a few times. Gary Oldman has a shitload more to do this time out, which was one of my complaints with the first film. Oldman rocks as Lt. Jim Gordon, Batman’s co-conspirator within the police force. Oldman doesn’t look like a lost old man this time around and actually gets into the spirit of things and even joins in the fighting a little bit.

The best parts about the film are the bad guys. Aaron Eckhart rocks as Two-Face/Harvey Dent. Eckhart’s dual-natured performance isn’t as fun or wacky as that of Ledger as The Joker, but he definitely pulls his own weight and creates one of the more sympathetic villains of recent film history. Of course, Heath Ledger is just as good as billed. Hell, if I gave a performance that good, I would kill myself too. How the hell can you hope to top Ledger’s nihilistic, sadistic, and completely unforgettable performance as The Joker? You can’t! Take some pills and go to sleep, comfortable in the fact that you just made yourself a legend. Nice call, Ledger. You rock!

The Dark Knight is a touch on the long side (and the toll of the runtime is felt even more by yours truly after having to sit in a theater for a grand total of 5 hours just to get good seats at the midnight showing… I did figure out that I’m smarter than a 5th grader, so the whole evening wasn’t a loss), but there is enough happening in this film to keep even the casual moviegoer interested. I wish I could say that this was a perfect film… but the action sequences and the replacement of Katie Holmes with Maggie Gyllenhaal bring the film down a tad.

Final Synopsis: It’s a pretty good flick worth seeing for Ledger’s performance alone. If you like Batman it’s a must see. If you hate cookie-cutter superhero movies, The Dark Knight breaks the mold… just a little bit, but enough to make it so that you don’t know what’s going to happen throughout the film. Give it a watch at the theater, you won’t regret it… bring a pillow for your ass though. This fucker’s long.

Points Lost: -1 for weak Batman fighting scenes, -1 for Maggie Gyllenhaal as Rachel Dawes… her face makes me want to puke, -1 for Bale’s stupid Batman voice

Bonus Points: +1 for Ledger’s performance as The Joker (I wanted to hate it, but it was awesome.)

Lesson Learned: If you give a killer performance that you will obviously never be able to top, go ahead and kill yourself.

Burning Question: When you look at Maggie Gyllenhaal’s face, what comes to mind?

The Dark Knight
    8/10
    myke
    Green
    Green

Male Number of posts : 663
    Registration date : 2008-04-30

Re: Batman The Dark Knight 2008

Post by myke on Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:58 pm

1 - you forgot to put the source......
    2 - theres a swear word..... lol
    3 - its a brilliant movie, 9/10..... so ha!!!!!!!
    Bretteo
    Site Owner
    Site Owner

Male Number of posts : 1017
    Registration date : 2008-04-08

Post by Bretteo on Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:04 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:36 am